Online surveys are an excellent form of passive income — it lets you make money without ever having to leave the house. However, finding a survey site with high-quality options and relevant questions will help you maximize your profit.
Customer feedback doesn’t have to be boring — it can be fun! Toluna is a leading global survey community where you can take surveys, win prizes, and connect with real people.
This Toluna review will let you know what (and what not) to expect from the website and if paid surveys are your preferred way to make a side income.
Is Toluna Legit?
Yes, Toluna is legit, and if you are into answering surveys, you can make money with it, although — not as much as you wish.
A quick glance at Trustpilot shows a worrying statistic, however. It receives 2.3 stars out of 5, which is definitely not what you’re looking for. However, many of those one-star comments are from first-time reviewers, so we have to consider black hat marketing since it’s a big part of that industry.
What is Toluna?
The Toluna Group has been a global market research company for over 20 years. It helps companies worldwide conduct surveys and market research and gain insights on consumer trends to develop products.
In simple words, the company is paid by large businesses, such as Coca-Cola, Amazon, L’Oréal, and others, to analyze real-world customer behavior (instead of using guessing methods). Then, a portion of the money received is paid to survey takers.
Toluna lets customers choose their categories, which brings a better user experience. Instead of answering surveys you’re not interested in, you participate in topics close to you.
How Does It Work?
Toluna lets you decide if you want to complete surveys that are either short or long. It’s all about how much time you are willing to spend on the platform.
Profile surveys aim to learn more about you, so they could send you more relevant surveys on topics close to you. Longer surveys are a different story, though, and they take about 20 minutes to complete, but you can earn more points doing them.
To complete the longer surveys, you should select a category (for example, cars and mobile phones), and then you can see the surveys with an estimated completion time and how many points you will earn for the task.
Ways to Earn Rewards with It
Toluna’s surveys and polls are a great way to earn points. There are frequent opportunities to participate in various market research projects — with exciting rewards that include gift cards and vouchers.
People love the survey website because the platform offers a variety of ways for users to make money. Of course, if you seek ways to make your first million, I will have to intercept your dreams. Still, it’s possible to make money with the website. Let’s find out how:
Answering profile surveys will reward you with 100 points each. Each profile consists of 10+ surveys. Potentially, you can make up to 1,500 points, which is fine. People who fill those profile surveys are called “Toluna influencers.”
Most surveys take about 20 minutes to complete and are usually paid better. Toluna claims you can make from 15 to 50 thousand points from each survey, but from our experience, these numbers are greatly exaggerated.
As with similar survey websites, inviting friends is an excellent way to earn extra points. Each referral is worth 500 points, and you can claim up to 5000 points per month with referrals. To be honest, it’s weird that there is a monthly cap on referrals, as most similar services don’t limit the number of people you can refer to the platform.
Posting in their community
Posts in their community can reward you with up to 1,000 points which is not bad. Of course, your comment should be qualified as helpful before you get the reward.
How Much Do They Pay?
Toluna doesn’t pay that much. For you to get $1, you should collect 3000 Toluna points, and according to many sources, you can make about $0.74 per hour, and that’s certainly not much. There is also an essential condition to meet to be able to withdraw your money: you should have at least $10 (which equals to 30,000 points) to make a withdrawal.
Cashing Out: How Do You Get Paid?
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to get paid in the platform: gift cards, PayPal transactions, charity, etc.
You can receive a gift card from Amazon, Walmart, Starbucks, and other popular chains in exchange for your points.
You can redeem points for money. You should have 90,000 points, which you can exchange for $30. Then, you should link your PayPal account to get paid. Expect your payment completed in around three weeks.
Toluna also works with charity organizations, and if you want to donate to charity, there are plenty of options to help people in need.
Pros and Cons
It’s impossible to write a review of Toluna without first looking at the pros and cons of the platform. There are some definite advantages and disadvantages, which we’ll explore in this section.
- Free to use – it’s always good news when you have a platform that lets you make money without asking for a monthly subscription fee or a premium plan. Toluna is free forever, meaning anyone aged 16 and above can create an account.
- Interesting surveys – unlike other survey websites on the market, you can filter your surveys by choosing your favorite topics and expressing your opinion about the things you like, rather than doing boring surveys.
- Lots of surveys available – there is a variety of surveys you can participate in. On top of that, there is a high chance you will get approved for a survey. The success rate is about 25%-33%.
- Plenty of ways to earn points – participating in surveys isn’t the only way to make money with the platform. Other activities include posting content that can help the community, inviting friends to join the platform, and others.
- Low payouts – despite the promises that you can make up to $15-20 per survey, this is more like a dream rather than what you could receive in real life. On average, you’ll make around $0.74 per hour spent on the platform, which isn’t great.
- Points expire – it’s not impossible to earn points only to realize later that they have expired. It creates frustration in customers, and their reviews in Trustpilot show it.
- Poor customer service – the customer service team of the platform is getting criticized for lack of competency and poor resolutions. If you encounter issues with your account, don’t get surprised if you wait for long before you get a solution (if you do get one.)
- Account deactivation – there are many complaints in Trustpilot that accounts are being deactivated for no reason. We wouldn’t take this seriously if it were 1 or 2 reviews, but plenty of people share their concerns.
Conclusion: Is Toluna Worth It?
Toluna is a high-quality survey site that is safe and easy to use. With many opportunities for cash rewards, online discounts, and win prizes, it can be a viable way for you to make money in your spare time.
However, the platform isn’t a place that can replace your full-time job. Maybe you should spend time on it only if you have a couple of spare hours. If you’re a student and need to make some extra money for a cup of coffee or Netflix, the website might also be a good enough option.
Toluna is not the only app that lets customers save and make money with different activities, such as filling out surveys and inviting friends. Let’s see some other websites that give you good value for money.
- Survey Junkie – Survey Junkie is a great way to make money. It is one of the leading survey websites and has been going strong for years. It has developed a reputation for consistent payments and quality surveys. On top of that, you can make between $2 and $5 per hour, which is much more than what you can make in Toluna.
- Monetha – Monetha is a rewards program that will let you earn money online. It won’t pay you for surveys, but you can save big by utilizing the platform, which has almost 500 stores and a well-crafted mobile app.
- Swagbucks – Swagbucks is another way to make money online. It is one of the survey sites that lets you earn points in more than one way — you can play games, invite friends, and generate a decent amount of money overall. We can rate it as high as Toluna since it has its pros and cons (read our review on Swagbucks and if it’s safe here).
- InboxDollars – InboxDollars rewards you with cash in exchange for completing various tasks. You can earn money by playing games, watching short videos, or simply taking surveys on topics that interest you. And because InboxDollars is one of the most established paid survey sites, it’s easy to earn a good deal of cash quickly.
- i-Say – i-Say gives you the ability to take surveys on your mobile phone and, without having to navigate from one survey service to the next, gives you surveys from a single source. If you enjoy taking surveys, i-Say is a great way to earn points fast — with a little bit of patience. However, you cannot exchange those points for money, but many gift cards are available.
On average, it takes three weeks for Toluna users to get paid after requesting a withdrawl. Some users, however, report massive delays in their PayPal transfers.
3,000 Toluna points are worth $1, but sometimes you can get a better deal on gift cards and vouchers – when your points are worth more.
500 points are worth approximately $0.17.
According to their official website, each survey pays between 15,000 and 50,000 Toluna points. However, our real-time tests showed these numbers are highly inflated. Usually, it’s around 1,500-2,000 points, but some surveys indeed pay 15,000 and more.